Friday, 29 October 2010
Environment Attachés of Permanent Representations
cc: Water Directors of EU27 Member States
From: Helmut Bloech, DG ENV and Beate Werner, EEA
You are invited to provide your national bathing water data for the 2010 reporting period from now on until 31 December 2010. You can choose to report the parameters either under the “old” Bathing Water Directive 76/160/EEC or under the “new” Bathing Water Directive 2006/7/EC.
As last year, you have three options for reporting, which have been discussed with you at the Bathing Water Directive workshop on 4th October 2010:
1. Reporting under the “old” Bathing Water Directive 76/160/EEC using txt-files. The BWATER data input tool and guidance are available at the Bathing Water Directive WFD CIRCA library under (same link as last year).
2. Reporting under the “old” Bathing Water Directive 76/160/EEC using Reportnet reporting templates for xls- or xml-files which can be downloaded from the . These files enable an automatic QA/QC procedure (GDEM tool). The templates are unchanged. We added more explanations for some attributes in the Data Dictionary as agreed on the workshop 4th October 2010 in Brussels.
3. Reporting under the “new” Bathing Water Directive 2006/7/EC using Reportnet reporting templates for xls- or xml-files which can be downloaded from the . These files enable an automatic QA/QC procedure (GDEM tool). The templates are unchanged. We added more explanations for some attributes in the Data Dictionary and updated the codelist for the attribute “Closed” as agreed on the workshop 4th October 2010 in Brussels.
Additional information is available in the public EEA Circa interest group “WISE Water Directives reporting“, subfolder for the Bathing Water Directive and „Reporting for bathing season 2010“. Here you have access to the following additional information:
o 29 national code lists of 2009 bathing water locations (including ID of WFD RBDs and waterbodies)
o 29 national code lists of RBDs
o 13 national lists of bathing waters with reduced frequency according to the “old” Bathing Water Directive 76/160/EEC. The list is available for Member States that reported under this Directive for the 2009 bathing season.
o Guidelines on assessment under the New Bathing Water Directive and transition period. This document provides rules that will be used for the 2010 season assessment. This document will be available by 10th November.
o Minutes from the bathing water directive workshop on 4th October 2010 in Brussels.
If you need national support for your work with reportnet, please contact your Eionet National Focal Points.
All data files should be uploaded to the Central Data Repository (CDR). Bathing Water Directive folders are already available from last year in your national folder under the section „European Union (EU) obligations"/"Bathing water Directive Report”. A new folder "Bathing Water Directive 2006/7/EC Report" was created by Eionet Helpdesk. Please use this folder or folder "Bathing Water Directive Report" linked to both Directives` reporting obligations if you report under the “new” Bathing Water Directive 2006/7/EC. You may use the instructions created by EEA: How to deliver data under the Bathing Water Directive
Automatic quality assurance (QA)
Once your data files have been uploaded, an automatic QA/QC procedure starts (GDEM tool) and a list of errors will be automaticaly and immediately uploaded. We recommend to check the results, correct problems (if any) and redeliver corrected data. You can find a description of this automatic QA/QC procedure including explanatory video clips in the WISE SoE automatic QA user guide. A further level of manual data quality checks will be carried out by ETC Water after your release of the 2010 data.
Bathing water locations for the 2011 season
We also invite you to report your bathing water locations for the 2011 season, as required under the “new” Bathing Water Directive 2006/7/EC. Upload your 2011 location list by the beginning of the 2011 bathing season into the Central Data Repository into a separate folder for 2011 reporting.
Helpdesk service and support
· In case of login problems or any other technical difficulties with Eionet web services, please contact Eionet Helpdesk.
· In case of questions related to the content of the data requested, please contact Lidija Globevnik at: email@example.com
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support and look forward to your replies.
Helmut Bloech Beate Werner
European Commission, DG ENV European Environment Agency